Cancer Support Groups
CLINICIAN LED SUPPORT GROUPS IN THE HOSPITAL SETTING
In low resource environments, physicians are overly burdened, particularly oncologists and often there exists an enormous health literacy gap between patients and their health care providers. As a result, patients and their caregivers who require extensive instruction and education about their illness may be overlooked and left uneducated, frightened and confused about their treatment and future. We look to fill the gaps in patient/caregiver knowledge through the introduction of clinician-led cancer support groups in the hospital setting.
‣ Provide a place for people to share common concerns on cancer and well-being with trained medical professionals
‣ Educate patients and caregivers about cancer related topics such as treatments, side effects, exercise and nutrition, relationships and life after cancer
‣ Provide emotional support and help reduce anxiety for patients and their families
‣ Offer patients a place to voice their concerns and receive information specific to their disease and treatment
‣ Empowered and informed patients
‣ Increased cancer awareness among patients, families and caregivers
‣ Reduced stigma and myth surrounding cancer
Support groups for breast, colorectal and general cancers have been integrated into oncology centers across Viet Nam: with programs in Hanoi, Hue, Ho Chi Minh City, Can Tho and DaNang providing education and support for hundreds of cancer patients and their families each month.